Friday, May 4, 2012

The Corrugated & Fold Formed Cuff

Charles Lewton-Brain is my new hero! He developed fold forming; "a series of techniques new to the metalsmithing field which allow rapid development of three dimensional surfaces and structures using simple equipment". Rapid and simple being at the heart of most of my work, this is right up my alley! 

Here's what I did: I ran a strip of 24 ga annealed copper thru a microfold brake, then folded it using an origami fold, also known as the "ward" fold. After re-annealing and opening the folds, I lightly hammered it flat with a mallet, and finally I gave it a "bow" by standing it on it's edge and again lightly hammering with a mallet. The whole piece was then curved on a mandrel and riveted to a 20 ga back plate for stability. 

If you need me, I'll be in the studio.... :-)

6 comments:

Your comment will be published upon moderation.